Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Perfect Roasted Potatoes

I bought a cookbook titled "Roasting" by Peter Swann last week (clearance $2) and I've been pouring over the text and drooling over the recipes ever since. Roasting is one of the most basic no muss no fuss ways to cook something with mucho flavor and minimal effort (second only to using your crock pot).

Since we don't have taste-o-vision or smell-o-vision, I try to use descriptive words when posting recipes. I have used words like "Best Ever" "So Delicious" "Crowd Pleaser" etc. I have NEVER used the word "Perfect" to describe a recipe. I've been saving that word for this recipe.

***Life changing tip ahead - keep reading***

This morning I made these for our 'skillet type' breakfast. I'm not sure if you can tell - but they are about the size of a quarter - a small bite.

Next time I make them, I'll make them in bigger chunks - dinner style...

The Perfect Roasted Potatoes
3 lbs potatoes (any kind you like) peeled and cut into chunks
3 T EVOO
Salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. cook the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water over medium heat, covered for 5 - 7 minutes. They will still be firm. remove from the heat. meanwhile, add the EVOO to a roasting pan (or cookie sheet) and place in the hot oven.

***Here it is. The best cooking tip I've heard of this year*** Drain the potatoes well and return them to the pan. Cover with the lid and firmly shake the pan so that the surface of the potatoes is slightly roughened to help give them a much crisper texture.

Remove the roasting pan from the oven and carefully tip the potatoes into the hot oil. baste them mto ensure that they are all coated with the oil.

Roast the potatoes at the top of the oven for 45 -50 minutes (the small potatoes I did this morning only took 35 minutes) until they are browned all over and thoroughly crisp. Turn the potates and baste again only once during the process or the crunchy edges will be destroyed.

Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the potatoes from the roasting pan into a warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with a little salt and serve at once.


For breakfast this morning we ate them completely unseasoned - I didn't even salt the water when I boiled them - and they were sooo good. The recipe calls for you to salt the potatoes when they are finished cooking - but I would suggest seasoning them right when you put them in the oven. They come out of the oven so crispy on the outside (soft and fluffy on the inside) that the surface of the potato isn't porous enough to accept seasoning.

The cool thing about this is that you can season these a million different ways - imagine the possibilities:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails