Thursday, September 10, 2009

Choppin' Broccoli

I went to Costco over the weekend and bought a boat load of veggies. While I was unloading all the food Sweetness said - "are you having a party while I'm out of town?" Shoot! I forgot that he'd be gone all week. What to do...

I know better than to try and force feed 3 pounds of broccoli to my sweet children - but I hate to waste food! The solution? Blanching. My friend Dawn actually reminded me of this long lost treasure...

First - you get a large pot of water boiling. Put the broccoli in the boiling water and 'blanche' for 2 to 3 minutes.

Then, straight from the boiling water into an ice bath they go (use a slotted spoon to transfer them) Wait until the broccoli is cooled, and drain them.
At this point, you can set them aside until you are ready to eat. To reheat, just stick them in a saute pan with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) salt and pepper for about 1 -2 minutes - just so they are heated through.
Blanching ensures crisp cooked veggies instead of that mush...

OR, if you are like me and are trying to extend the life of your broccoli - put the cooled broccoli in a ziploc or air tight container - stick it in the freezer and it will keep for up to 12 months!

*I got all this information from my Barefoot Contessa Cookbook - I love that lady!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails