Monday, April 9, 2012

Creamy Avocado and White Bean Wrap

Oh yeah babe - this was good. AND this huge wrap is only 346 calories!! I just had a baby 2 months ago and I am gettin back on the skinny train. For my information - and yours if you are interested - I am going to try to add nutrition information at the bottom of the recipe...

Creamy Avocado and White Bean Wrap

2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (or 1 tsp dried chipotle powder and a dash of vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 medium carrot, shredded
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons minced red onion
4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat wraps, or tortillas

Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.

Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in cheese and onion.

To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.

Nutrition
Per serving: 346 calories; 17 g fat ( 4 g sat , 9 g mono ); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 13 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.

*Next time I make these I think I’ll add a bit more chipotle in adobo to kick up the spice factor (and I’m not a huge fan of heat).

**Since I am a big advocate of having my kids eat what my husband and I eat (who wants to be a short order cook?) I made a few changes to how I served these. I thought the slaw was a little tart for my kids (ages 9,7 &4) so, I sprinkled a little sugar on top of their slaw. Considering how healthy these are - I don't feel the least bit bad about that:) I also didn't mix the cheese in with the avocado bean mixture b/c my son isn't a fan of 'cold cheese.'

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails