Sunday, April 22, 2012

Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad

We were invited over to a friends house for dinner with a couple families, I was asked to bring a salad. I asked my kids (individually) which salad that I make is their favorite. Both of my girls answered "Sweet Broccoli Salad", my son answered "anything with lettuce, cucumbers and honey" (he is allergic to eggs so most salad dressings are out for him - he loves for me to drizzle honey over his salads).

Since the salad would be eaten by 6 adults and 12 kids, I decided to go with the old "Family Favorite Salad" served with ranch until my husband piped in with "What about that strawberry salad you make? That sounds really good." Decision made. I got on this here food blog and searched for it. I searched high and low and I didn't find it! How could this be possible?? So - here it is - for all to enjoy...
Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad
Spinach and romaine lettuce, chopped (I only had romaine this time)
Strawberries (sliced and cut into bite sized pieces)
Red onion, diced
Carmelized pecans*

Dressing**
2 c mayonnaise
2 t poppy seeds
1/3 c Four Monks Raspberry White Wine Vinegar
2/3 c sugar
1 t dry mustard
1/3 c strawberry jam
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all dressing ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Assemble salad fixin's just before serving.

*I used carmelized sliced almonds - b/c that's what I had. 4 T sugar + 1/2 c sliced almonds in a frying pan on medium heat. The sugar will heat up and start to carmelize. Stir often to prevent burning and keep all the almonds coated. Add a little water as needed to help the sugar dissolve.

**I couldn't find Four Monks Raspberry White Wine Vinegar at my local grocery. Instead I used Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing & also walmarts 'Market Fresh' brand Raspberry Vinaigrette in combination to mimic the flavor.

The picture is missing the candied almonds (b/c my 4 yr old is allergic to nuts) and is also missing the dressing - b/c kids can be picky and when serving so many little ones - I wanted to keep their options open...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails