Wednesday, March 17, 2021

St. Patrick's Menu

I have to preface this post with a couple of things. My mom never made this when I was growing up. My husbands Mom did - and he HATED it for YEARS. I really love celebrating every single holiday (obviously) and I learned how to make it (thank you internet!) The first time I made it was 12 years ago when we had just moved far away from home and were trying to get to know our neighbors. We invited the Kenny family (who we still vacation with on a yearly basis) and I had no idea that Mike was Irish. He said it was the best Corned Beef and Cabbage he'd had in his life (and I made his favorite rolls just in case it turned out horribly - so he may've been biased - but year after year - this proves to be amazing.

I have A LOT of favorite meals based around holidays. This one is good - but not my fave. THAT SAID - my oldest daughter, (16) has declared this meal as her favorite meal of the YEAR every year for the last 10. Really. Our 13 year old daughter is equally adamant about her love of this meal. Boy loves it - of course. Even our pickiest quesadilla loving youngest will eat it - and that is saying something!!  

I invited my best friend and her family over tonight and she admitted that she (FULL IRISH) had never had it and neither had her kids. They all raved! 

I've been so busy that I've forgotten a lot of the details of things OR have been wanting to do something without wanting to think about it and just like our usual St. Patrick's dinner - have searched this blog for my short cuts and have been disappointed that I never made those notes!!

Corned Beef - this one from Costco. I'm so glad I took this picture - I didn't take it for this post - I actually took it because my eye site is going FAST and I needed to blow it up on my phone! LOLOLOL


I cooked it in my crock pot on low for 6 hours and then bumped it up to High for 45 minutes. YOU DO NOT WANT TO OVER COOK CORNED BEEF!!!! I can't emphasize this enough! If you do - it gets stringy or becomes the texture of baby food - NO THANKS! You want it to be tender - but you want to be able to pull it out in one piece and let it rest and then be able to cut it into slices.

Decadent Mashed Potatoes are the JAM! My cheat is that I use the BISTRO brand mashed potatoes from Costco - both packs - 64 ounces + all the other ingredients listed in the recipe and you are golden! 

Cabbage. Fill the dutch oven (my work horse 6 qt?) half way with water. Bring to a boil. Heavily salt the water after it comes to a boil. I always buy 2 heads of cabbage - cut them into 6 wedges each. place the wedges into the boiling water. Don't worry about overcrowding bc they will shrink a bit - and just like the corned beef - you don't want it to turn to mush. Make sure to push the cabbage down into the water or flip over so they all get evenly boiled. Probably 10-15 minutes. Drain. Add the cabbage back to the dutch oven. Add 3/4 - 1 stick of butter and cover so the butter melts and salt just before serving. Seriously. So. Good.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails